LATEST BLOG POSTS
From catastrophe to success
As I sit and watch the news full of events that are affecting so many people, I wonder why it is that when we all experience a “disaster” in our lives, it is so easy to adopt a position that does not help us to deal with the situation we are in. In fact it just raises the levels of pressure we face. What happens to create this?
- Firstly, we blame others and hold them responsible for what we are experiencing, leaving us feeling powerless.
- Secondly, we get stuck, sit alone and become inactive, often feeling helpless.
- Thirdly, we procrastinate about what we might do, and dwell on what we fear might happen, leaving us thinking that we do not have any choices.
How can you face and resolve these exact dilemmas that occur for individuals and organisations, every day? You can:
- accept what you are realistically responsible for,
- recognise what support you already have, and will need, to feel valued and confident at this time. Friends, colleagues and coaches often provide the different perspective and reality check we need to breakthrough difficult situations,
- draw on the skills which make you successful, in a range of other situations,
- learn from what you observe others doing successfully and apply these behaviours,
- make firm decisions and challenge yourself to take committed action…
Only by doing these things where you replace your negative internal pressures with elements of positive internal resilience will you be able to influence what happens to your and move forward to achieve the goals and outcomes you want.
“Disasters” become opportunities, adventures and successes!
- De-cluttering is great for giving away, selling or getting rid of the things you no longer need or want. Challenge yourself to clear 25% of the objects filling your wardrobe, cupboards, attic or garage... (charities welcome many items or consider using sites such as freegle to offer things to local communities.)
- Understand what your money is doing right now, so that you can realistically plan how you can spend wisely on the things, situations and people that will enrich the most important parts of your life in the forthcoming year.
- Remind yourself who are the most important people you want in your life are. These people will provide much of the positive energy to help recharge your batteries. Plan how you can spend more time with them. Stop investing your valuable time in those who drain the life out of you.